National Anti-Ragging Helpline
Phone No :- 18001805522 Email-Helpline@Antiragging.In
Details of Anti ragging committee
Chairman - Dr. Sara Varghese - Principal, Mob- 9847765697,8547595697, email -firstname.lastname@example.org Landline – 04742572574.
THE KERALA PROHIBITION OF RAGGING ORDINANCE, 1997
To prohibit ragging in educational institutions in the State of Kerala
• Short title, extend of commencement –
(1) This ordinance may be called the Kerala Prohibition of Ragging Ordinance, 1997
(2) It extends to the whole of the State of Kerala
(3) It shall come into force at once
• Definition – in this ordinance, unless the context otherwise requires “ragging” means display of disorderly conduct, doing any act which causes or is likely to cause physical or psychological harm or raise apprehension or fear or shame or embarrassment to a student in any educational institution and includes;
(a) teasing, abusing or playing practical jokes on or causing hurt to such student;
(b) asking the student to do any act or perform something which such student will not in the ordinary course willingly do.
• Prohibition of ragging – Ragging within or without any educational institution is prohibited.
• Penalty for ragging – whoever directly or indirectly commits, participates in, abets or propagates ragging within, or without, any educational institution, shall, on conviction be punished with imprisonment or fine which may extend to ten thousand rupees.
• Dismissal of students – Any student convicted of an offense under section 4 shall also be dismissed from the educational institution and such student shall not be admitted in any other educational institution for a period of five years from the date of order of such dismissal.
• Suspension of student: (1) without prejudice of the foregoing provisions, whenever any student complains of ragging to the head of an educational institution or to any other person responsible for the management of educational institution, such head of the educational institution or person responsible for the management of the educational institution shall inquire into the same immediately and if found true shall suspend the student, who has committed the offence, from the educational institu tion.
(2) The decision of the head of the educational institution, that any student has indulged in ragging under subsection (1) shall be final.
• Deemed Abetment: If the head of the educational institution or the person responsible for the management of the educational institution fails or neglects to take action in the manner specified in sub-section (1) of section 6 when a complaint of ragging is made, such persons shall be deemed to have abetted the offense of ragging and shall, on conviction, be punished as provided for in section 4.
GOVT MEDICAL COLLEGE PARIPALLY KOLLAM
Ragging is totally prohibited in the campus and anyone found guilty of ragging and / or abetting ragging whether actively or passively,or being a part of conspiracy to promote ragging, is liable to be punished in accordance with UGC Regulations 2009 as well as under the provisions of any penal law for the time being in force.
As per UGC Regulations on curbing the menace of Ragging in Higher Educational Institutions, 2009, Ragging constitutes one or more of any of following acts:
1. Any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a fresher or any other student by students
2. Any act by senior student that prevents, disrupts or disturbs the regular academic activity of any other student or a fresher
3. Indulging in rowdy or indiscipline activities by any student which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship, physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student
4. Asking any student to do any act which he/she will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student
5. Any conduct by any student whether by words spoken or written or by act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student
6. Exploiting the service of a fresher or any other student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of students
7. Any act that affects the mental health and self- confidence of a fresher or any other student with or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a student over any fresher or any other student.
8. Any act of physical abuse including all variants of it: sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts/ gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person
9. Any act or abuse by spoken words, email, post, public insults which would also include deriving perverted pleasure, vicarious or sadistic thrill from activity or passively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student
Medical college ensures that the congenial and welcoming environment is given to the fresh students. Students or parents are encouraged to make written or verbal complaints. They are free to meet the Principal or any other faculty at any time or telephonically make a complaint..
Anti ragging committee and antiragging squad are formed in the college to prevent this menace in the campus.